Start or Register a Business

Do you already own a business in another state, and wish to register your existing, foriegn (i.e. non-Vermont) business entity to do business in Vermont?

If you are registered in another state and wish to do business in Vermont, you will have to apply for authority to operate in Vermont. Please follow the link below for more information:

Foreign Business Registration

Please Note: You will be required to provide us with a recent Certificate of Good Standing (or equivalent) from your home state (valid no later than 30 days from the date of filing).

Are you starting a business from scratch in Vermont?

As the state registry for business entity registrations and maintenance, the Corporations Division is the place to start.

Please select your desired business structure from the “What type of business would you like to Start or Register?” menu for more information, or refer to our online Business Start-Up Guide.

STOP: Before you get started, we recommend that you consult with an attorney, accountant, or business advisor about which business structure is best for you.

Do not make investments in advertising, websites, or signage until you have registered your business with our office and received a certificate confirming that the desired name was available and not rejected.

Other helpful resources:

Online Registration Guide

Business Start-Up Guide

Business Expansion Guide

What's Next After Business Registration?


This page was last updated: 2014-12-11